Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ah, Wedding Season!

It's that time of year again, wedding season.  I hate wedding season.  Not because I don't enjoy watching my friends and family exchange vows of love (I actually quite enjoy that bit) but because it's always a sad reminder of how pathetically greedy people are. 

My biggest pet peeve with regards to weddings is registries.  Not having them, but advertising them.  The happy couple simply cannot wait to tell anyone who will listen exactly what they deem appropriate for a gift.  What's the easiest way to do that?  Put the information right there in the invitation!  This is just so tacky and rude, I can't believe people can look at themselves in the mirror afterwards without cringing at their own greedy reflection.  You invite people to weddings, not the gifts you hope to extract from them as payment. 

CNN recently posted an article about registering for honeymoons.  You can read it here.  Basically it's about couples that "already have everything" (Oh, life is hard for some people!) and so they want their guests to pay for their honeymoon instead.  I love that the couples used as examples in this article are those on their second or third marriage.  Subsequent marriages don't require gifts at all, particularly if you attended a previous marriage.  So asking for them seems a little optimistic. 

Now, ultimately, I don't really even have a problem with the honeymoon registry idea.  But for goodness sake, don't go around telling people.  Should people ask, then mention you have a registry.  It's the same as a child having a birthday party.  It's okay to tell your aunt that you'd really like a video game when she says, "What would like for your birthday?"  But it's not okay to march up to poor Aunt May and say, "Seeing as you're coming to my party, I want Super Mario Wii!"

You're suppose to be an adult when you get married.  At least try to act like one with a little dignity and class.

No comments:

Post a Comment