Thursday, May 19, 2011

Loving One Child More - Or, Another Reason I'm Happy Being Childfree

Over on a website for parents called Babble, there's a poor mother who opened herself up to a world of criticism.  She openly stated that she loves her son more than her daughter.  The full post can be read here.

I think she's very brave for saying what she did.  Because I think she's right and many, many parents aren't able to admit it. 

The author states:

There are moments – in my Sophie’s Choice type musings – when I wonder which child it would really be worse to lose…if I were ever forced to choose. I immediately feel awful and want to go and hug them both and never let them go.  It’s like watching a bus accident on TV: you can’t help but wonder, “What if that was my kid??” And then you are horrified that anything could ever happen to your precious children…it can’t, it just can’t!!

Then I feel terrible and ashamed for ever having thought such a thing, because I really love my daughter and I would never want to lose her at all.  When she’s not being defiant, she’s a lovely little girl who makes me laugh and marvel at all of the stories she tells and all the things she can do.  She was a very late talker so there are times that I still want to write down every word that comes out of her mouth and hold it up and cherish it.  And she’s been talking non-stop for a year now.

In the time I've spent on this planet of ours, my observations have led me to believe that many parents of multiple children have a favorite.  Even if they aren't willing to say it out loud.

The sheer amount of vitriol slung at this mother astounds me.  She was being honest about her feeling, and she is clearly trying to be a good parent.  She is critically examining her feelings and that is an action that should be applauded.  Just because we, as people, aren't suppose to feel something, doesn't mean that we don't.  That said, I'm glad this is one problem I'll never face.

No comments:

Post a Comment