Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Heir and a Spare

I admit it, I watched a few highlights from the royal wedding.  For about 20 minutes I was glued to my computer looking at pictures and watching short video clips.  I liked the dress.  Then I moved on, because weddings just aren't that fascinating, even my own.  (It took me nearly four years to finish my wedding album, because I got bored looking at wedding photos.)

However, at work that day all the buzz about about the wedding.  And when children would come.  I must admit that I felt a little sorry for William and Catherine.  Apart from not having a choice about having kids, these two will be expected to get to it, post haste.  We no longer live in a time when the monarchy really has to have kids, the country will go on even if they don't.  But even with that it's kind of a foregone conclusion that they will.

There was brief chatter about amending the dated and sexist succession rules to allow women equal rights to rule (and not get skipped over for just about anyone else available with a dangling bit), and that would be nice to see.  Should Will and Kate have a daughter it would be nice if she didn't get immediately forgotten about while everyone waits for the "right" gendered child to come along.  But I still think it's sad that it's an absolute given that these two will procreate.  What if they don't want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment