Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

I admit it.  I hate Mother's Day.  It a day where the whole world conspires to remind me that I no longer have a mother.  Commercials, friend's Facebook postings, crafts made by children, and storefront displays all gleefully shout that this day is for celebrating mother's.  And my heart breaks a little more at each one, until Mother's Day finally gets here and I'm so shaken and vulnerable inside that I spend the day hiding from more reminders that everyone else out there seems to have a mother or be a mother. 

My mother died a year ago in March of cancer.

I am not yet at the point where memories of my mother are sweet.  While there are happy things that I remember, they don't make me feel happy again.  Instead they stab at my heart with sharp points and remind me keenly of everything I no longer have.  I will be very glad when Mother's Day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment