Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Strange Things Women Do When They're Pregnant

As someone who puts forth a good deal of effort not getting pregnant, I understand that I am coming at the whole "baby bump" fascination from the other side.  I happen to think pregnant women are kind of cute, in a "oh, thank the heavens it's not me!" kind of way, so I can see how people who are really into wanting children would be delighted by the big bellies that lead to babies.  Photographs of nude pregnant women has been a trend ever since Demi Moore did it in 1991 for Vanity Fair and photography studios everywhere now offer pregnancy shoots.  I have seen more acquaintances naked this way than I ever wanted to...  Why it seems people feel the need to take these images and plaster them over Facebook, I'll never know.  You wouldn't post naked shots sans baby bump, so don't do it with one!  Please leave it up to my imagination and keep those personal pictures for you and your loving family!

What I truly don't get is the trend of molding pregnant bellies into displays.  I really don't understand why someone would do this.  What are you going to do with it?  Display the thing?! Your ten year old will not thank you when his friends come over and you proudly show off the belly from which said ten year old came from.  (The other 10 year old's will happily tease your son for the rest of his schooling days about having seen his mother's knockers, though.  You think I'm exaggerating, but I've seen it first hand.  10 year old boys have absolutely zero concept about the beauty of pregnancy.)

 Oh, well, says the mom to be, in that case, I'll just do the mold without my breasts!  Great.  Now we have a disembodied stomach, with no reference as to what it is.  That's not creepy in the slightest. (Hand on a ball?  A giant melon?  Oh!  A belly!)

Or, instead of having just a tummy, how about we paint that thing up into a work of art!  Only, now moms-to-be are even more likely to want to hang it on the wall, leading once more to the 10 year old child's eternal embarrassment.  Not to mention the awkwardness of visiting house guests who are politely admiring the piece, while wishing they had stayed home.

Heard of any other strange pregnancy memorabilia?  I'm sure they're out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment