Thursday, March 10, 2011

Becoming a Mother at Any Cost

Today I read about Rajo Devi Loha, believed to be the world's oldest mother at age 70.  She is dying just 18 months after giving birth to her daughter.  She has been quoted as saying: "I dreamed about having a child all my life," she told the Daily Mail. "It does not matter to me that I am ill, because at least I lived long enough to become a mother."

The entire Mail article can be found here:  World's Oldest Mother Dying

Now, I know I have a particular bias here, as a childfree individual.  But the whole idea of becoming a mother at all costs, with no regard for the child you are bringing into the world is very disturbing.  One of the accusations that has been hurled at me for my procreation choices is that I am selfish.  I have rejected this idea totally, but things like this make me want to scream, "And you call me selfish?!"

Mrs Lohan's doctor Anurag Bishnoi has said,  "Even though Rajo's health is deteriorating, at least she will die in peace,' he said. 'She does not have to face the stigma of being barren."

Yes, I can completely understand how leaving a daughter without a mother is better than being barren.  How the putting the purely selfish desire to have a baby before consideration for that child and the life they will have is better than being barren.

No comments:

Post a Comment