Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Safe Haven

Image: By by Mish Bradley at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mishbradley/316813381/

Why a blog about being childfree?  It's a fair question.  There are other blogs and website dedicated to the same purpose, many of which (I'm sure) are far superior to this humble one. 

The truth is that, at this point in time, children are a major part of my thoughts.  Their presence in my life is unmistakable, even with their physical absence.  I am an educated, professional, married woman.  I am at a stage in my life when "normal women" want children.  My friends are all either parents or trying to become parents.  Setting me dramatically apart, I just had a serious conversation with my husband about getting a vasectomy. 

I have known for a long time that I haven't wanted to children.  There is no part of me that yearns to be a mother.  But the pressure and questions are intimidating, and (not surprisingly) none of my friends understand this.  So I created a safe haven.  My hope is to provide information and resources to others like me, who have no intention of ever becoming mothers as well as perhaps explain why I am okay with my choice, while at the same time affirming things in my own mind.

 So, on that note, welcome to Free From Kids.  I hope you'll come back soon to see all that I have planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment